The Origin of 'Boyne'
Boyne Public School is located in the 'Boyne Survey'. Within the 'Boyne Survey' there is also a hamlet named Boyne. According to Oxford Dictionary, a 'hamlet' is a noun meaning, "A small settlement, generally one smaller than a village, and strictly (in Britain) without a church."
Reprinted from the book, "Milton Streets" with permission of the Milton Historical Society:
Boyne Survey (p. 17) ~ "The Boyne Survey is named for Boyne, a small hamlet on the northsouth route that linked Milton to Bronte harbour. At one time it included a blacksmith, wagon shop, wollen mill, two churches and a school house. A post office was located there in 1862 and stages travelling between Milton and the port or rail station of Bronte stopped here. First settled in 1819, it is thought Edward McLernan was the first resident. John White, M.P.P. was representing Halton in the Canadian Parliament and the name chosen by him is thought to reflect his Irish roots."
Boyne (p. 23) ~ "This hamlet is named for the Boyne River, which rises from the Bog of Allen in County Kildare, Ireland, and empties into the Irish Sea. The area of Boyne was settled about 1819 by Irish immigrants. A fame school was built in 1835 on land donated by Peter Schraman. A Post Office was established in 1861. Boyne is located at what is now the intersection of Britannia Road and Regional Road 25."